The Territorial Statehouse, Utah’s first planned capitol, designed by Truman Angell, failed to reach completion. The first wing constructed from 1851-1855 under the direction of William Felshaw served as the Capitol in 1855. This was the only full legislative session held in the building. Conflicts between officials halted federal funding and contributed to the 1856 decision to move the capital to Salt Lake City. The building functioned as a jail, school, library, office, dance hall, and even a hiding place for the Deseret News during the Utah War. It is currently the Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum offering genealogical and historical research resources. The top floor serves as a social hall for receptions and old time dances. The museum offers pioneer programs for groups, families and individuals.
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.
Friends of Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum
50 W Capitol Avenue
Fillmore, UT 84631
Our mission is to preserve, protect and interpret the Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum and to provide educational and recreation opportunities for visitors and the community which are appropriate to the Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum.Become involved.
Annual membership dues are $10/individual and $25/family. Members receive a 10% discount at the museum gift shop, three free entrances to the museum, an annual guided ATV ride and other "Friends Only" perks. Click here to join the Friends of the Territorial Statehouse State Park Museum.